I have to confess that even though I’m passionate about making training stick and I know that actions I take before and after I conduct training will make a difference, like most of you sometimes I get caught up in the next course design or facilitation and (gulp) I forget about trainees in the classes I’ve finished, or the ones I am going to be doing soon.
This is why I’m very excited about several new technologies that have recently become available to help trainers reach out and connect with trainees before and after training to reinforce the learning and boost on-the-job application.
I began drafting a Sticky Note about these new technologies but I soon realized that there was too much information to share in a short newsletter. So I wrote a white paper. This white paper describes how each technology works and also provides suggestions for using each technology to create before- and after-training transfer techniques based on my research. I met with representatives of the companies at trade shows (most of them were at ASTD’s International Conference and Expo), I participated in a demo at a later date, I visited their websites, and I asked each of them to review the white paper for accuracy. I do not own or have any financial interest in any of these technologies. While I plan to try and use them as opportunities arise,I report objectively on each of these technologies.
These new tools make it easy to provide before- and after-training touch points because messaging and interactions can be designed and developed during design and delivery when it is top of mind for the trainer, while the messaging and interactions can be delivered at points when they will be most effective for the trainees, which is before and after participation in live training and/or self-paced elearning.
- Raptivity. High tech interactive templates for content reinforcement and application scenarios that can be inserted into most live training applications such as PowerPoint and into elearning platforms such as Articulate and Captivate. New white paper on use for elearning.
- We Achieve. Cloud-based crowdsourcing application that can be used before and after training to engage and motivate learners and to build community. New article in Training Magazine.
- Mindsetter. Delivers before- and after-training text, video, and quiz content via email to reinforce learning and provide additional content and application ideas.
- Mindmarker. Delivers training reinforcers and application suggestions – text, audio, and video files – via email and/or an app. Tracks participation and other metrics.
- ResultsEngine. Cloud-based tracking and support for end-of-training goals and action plans. Interactive assistance includes coaching requests, suggestions for revising goals, and detailed accountability and tracking.
Keep in mind that with each of these technologies it’s important to have well-written training objectives that specify end-of-class skills and behaviors and sticky objectives that specify on the job application of them. Without these, no technology is going to be effective in helping to make training stick®.
Until next time…..